Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Thing #8

RSS feeds and readers are great for the lifelong learner! I have tinkered with my Google Reader a bit before completing Thing #8. I need to become more disciplined about logging in on a regular basis and reading what's new. I like how the reader will make things easier and more time efficient for keeping up on all that is out there to know. The web can be intimidating to me because of the width and depth of information. It can feel like such a small and insignificant accomplishment to me to read just one or two blog posts of the millions generated each day. It would be easy to feel like I am making no progress. But with a reader, it is possible to make the web feel more managable yet still feel like I am part of the wide world available to me.

My goal is to use the reader daily to keep up with a few of what I consider the best blogs for me. I would like to find about 5 blogs that are very relevant to my professionally to follow daily. Another librarian mentioned that she had read a posting on Doug Johnson's blog stating that people should take a minimum of 15 minutes daily for their own learning. She applied that to technology and trying something new or keeping up with what is going on daily. I take that as permission to read a few select blogs daily to keep up with what is going on in Library Land!

I think that readers can be helpful to any librarian, teacher or administrator in this same way. It is a tool that a life-long learner can use to keep up with the most relevant blogs or news sites for their profession.

No comments:

Post a Comment