Friday, June 26, 2009

Thing #16

I have a wiki that has my library's online resources on it. I created it this year when the computer literacy teacher asked me to visit her 6th grade classes and introduce our online resources to the students. I think it was a good first attempt at using wikis with students. I would like to create another wiki or two this year with assignments on them for students to follow.

I attended two great sessions at TLA this past spring that involved taking research online with pathfinders and presentations. One was Barbara Jansen's presentation on Collaboration 2.0 and the other was Mash It Up: Connect Students through WebQuests and 2.0. Both presentations left me with lots of ideas about how to put projects on websites or wikis. I got lots of ideas such as having the students create a wiki as the product for their research or putting the steps of a project including links to sites for research. These ideas helped me connect my research experiences as an elementary librarian where we used mostly print resources with very specific directions for students at different stations to the middle school where more electronic resources were encorporated along with print resources. Their ideas will help me morph the stations we used at the elementary level to the research needs of the middle school.

1 comment:

  1. I love using my wikis to "park" all the stuff I use...the fact that you can upload pictures, video and document files makes it a handy dandy virtual file cabinet.

    ReplyDelete