Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Thing #11

LibraryThing is fun! I'd heard of it, but never checked it out. Now I want to add more books to my library and carefully tag everything! I've seen Shelfari on other peoples blogs. I wonder if that is similar to LibraryThing. I also have some family members who have extensive libraries of their own who might like to put them on LibraryThing as well. I don't know that I see lots of applications for use with my students. I may introduce this at a book club meeting so that kids can see it and see that they can add books they have read and liked as well as those they own. The idea of recommendations of new books based on the books in your library may be helpful to kids--and me! It can be a sort of alternate reader's advisory tool for the hard core readers. I don't know that it would appeal to the reluctant readers because it may be too much work for them.

I found a YA literature group in the Groups section that I joined. I also found a cook book collector group which I considered but decided not to join right now. It is very small and I don't know how helpful that would be. There were some other children's literature groups that I decided not to join as well just because their focus may not be as relevant to me as the YA literature group.

2 comments:

  1. Does YA stand for YOung Adult? I was just about to ask what YA stood for, then young adult popped into my sister's mind. Is she correct?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! YA stands for Young Adult Literature.

    ReplyDelete